Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Simmons Scopes and other Hunting Scopes topics.
The first thing you should know about cleaning a Simmons scope (or any rifle scope, for that matter) is: Do not use any type of glass or flat surface cleaner! DO NOT use finger nail polish remover or Windex! These types of cleaners could strip the multi-coatings clean off scope lenses. The makers of Simmons scopes recommend the following method, which is used by their factory technicians:
1. Go to any full-service drug store and buy a bottle of acetone.
2. Use a soft brush or forced air to remove dust or debris from the lens surface.
3. Take a cotton swab and dip into the acetone.
4. Start in the middle of the dust free lens with the damp swab
5. Move the swab in a circular motion working your way to the outside edge of the lens.
6. When a swab dries, discard it and continue with a fresh damp swab.
7. Repeat the use of damp swabs until the lens surface is clean.
*Here's a tip: If you don't have acetone, you might just be able to get by with plain water and a clean lint free cloth.